Wednesday, April 01, 2009

I'll be your IKEA songwriter

So I think I wrote a advertising jingle without really thinking about it, which is kind of cool. I'm a copywriter after all. But I've never had the opportunity to write a jingle.

They just don't seem that common these days. Sometimes you see them as tag lines like McDonald's "I'm Lovin' It" or introductions like Budweiser's "Real Men of Genius." But usually when a song is used in a commercial it exists beforehand and is licensed from the artist. An exception is the twist Of Montreal gave to one of their songs to make it "Let's Go Outback Tonight." But the only full-length recent songs/jingles I can think of are the FreeCreditReport.com ads:



Mid-way through the month of February I was desperately trying to stay on track in order to get to the 14 song goal for February Album Writing Month. I was growing tired of the acoustic-based songs I was cranking out, and wanted to do something different. So I thought I would plug it in a bit and crank out some noise. Write something upbeat. Once I got the idea I ran with it, lacking the patience for conventional song components like verses, bridges and length, deciding to leave the song as is.

Now, the more I listen to this, the more I think it's a jingle. Swap out my voice for a more commercial sounding male voice. Something closer to Hanson than Jonas Brothers. Show them putting together furniture for lovely Swedish lasses. Then have the Swedish girls sing the names of the furniture in the chorus. And presto, a cutesy IKEA ad?




No comments: