Friday, February 13, 2009

Last night I had Ben and Jerry's and didn't eat the whole pint.





Last night I walked to the convenience store on the corner, bought a pint of Ben and Jerry's and didn't eat the whole thing. Usually this is impossible. I'll take a spoon and carefully skim the top of the ice cream and try to get equal portions of goodness in each bite. I'll marvel at how much better rich chocolaty ice cream is over its frozen yogurt counterpart, and eventually when at least a quarter of the pint has been consumed, and...err...57% of my recommended intake of fat, I'll put the pint away. But no matter how far back in the freezer I put it, I can't bury it from my mind. I know it's there because it tastes damn good. And this is where the games come in. Maybe I'll take my spoon and just have one more bite. Because it's only one, and really, having another taste isn't so bad because if I look at the pint it still looks like I have a quarter of it left. Okay, maybe a third. But it's at least a third. By this time it's started to thaw, making it more difficult to shave a tiny portion off the top. This is where the heaps of chocolate and peanut butter and caramel goodness really start to show their character in large tablespoon amounts. And I start to think about how I really don't do this that often and that maybe it's not so bad. I'll hit the gym tomorrow.

Okay, let me say this again. Last night I had Ben and Jerry's and didn't eat the whole pint. Does this mean I'm getting more responsible about my health? Have I finally comprehended the 2,000 calorie a day diet? Am I trimming back the excesses of yesterday and embracing the mantra of "less is more?"

Or maybe I make the mistake of picking up Everything But The... instead of Chunky Monkey.

No comments: