Tuesday, March 10, 2009

5 Coffee Shops in 5 Days: Java Jack's





It stopped snowing outside, but I kind of wish it would turn into a blizzard. It feels like that kind of day, and I want to sit back and look out at crawling cars crunching down on fresh snow and be glad I'm not out in it. Not that I wish to inconvenience people with long commutes. I just want it to feel like a snow day.

I swear I've been here before, and I'm pretty sure it was called Java Jack's when I was. But that was a long time ago. 10 years probably. And if this is the same place the look and feel of it has changed drastically. The place has been gutted. Gone is the cozy feel of dark rooms and heavy drapes.

The front of the building now consists of two garage doors framed by brick. In the summer they must open up and provide a really nice open air environment. Dogs are welcome. There's even a sign on the wall that says that unattended children will be given a puppy and a cookie. It's another neighborhood type place. People from all ages hanging out. Very few laptops. They serve food too. Subs and sweets, but also pasta dishes from a business that shares the space with them.

I don't know. Part of the reason for visiting five different coffee shops is to find a new place to work. This isn't cutting it though. At least not during the winter months. People are too loud and it's incredibly drafty in here. I suppose the big glass garage doors don't help much. Nice environment for a summer night though. That could be the crux of the problem. All I can think about is summer and it's not doing much for my winter disposition. I'll have to file it away for that. But to get what I've come here to get done on a snowy March day? Not really cutting it.

Java Jack's
46th and Bryant Avenue, Minneapolis

No comments: