Thursday, March 12, 2009

5 Coffee Shops in 5 Days: Kopplin's





It's nice when you walk into a place and it feels like a continuation of the music/vibe you have going in your car. I was listening to the new Neko Case album, Middle Cyclone, on the drive over to the Hamline University area of St Paul to visit a place called Kopplins, and when I walked in the door they too were playing Neko Case. It gave me something to talk about right away and dovetailed nicely into a discussion of today's coffee selections.

Kopplin's takes their coffee very seriously. They have 5 daily offerings, but they don't brew it by the pot. No, no, this stuff is too good for that. At Kopplin's each coffee is featured in a framed description on the wall. They read like fine wines. You can buy a sample, two different cup sizes, a carafe or get it by the pound to take home and brew.

The barista helped me select a Columbia blend. I was fascinated by the process as she selected a small amount of beans (maybe 10 or so), grounded them up and brewed a tiny amount into a cup for me. To be perfectly honest here, I wasn't that crazy about the coffee. It tasted incredibly bitter and didn't have that depth that I like. I was instantly reminded of the Gevalia coffee I sent away for several years ago, when as an ad student I was assigned the brand to do ads for. This coffee tasted exactly like that. Maybe that Gevalia really was some fancy pants coffee and I just didn't realize it. But at $3.75 for barely 8 ounces of the stuff, I can't say I'll be ordering it again soon at Kopplin's. Not the Columbia coffee anyway.

I've been here twice before, but both times were later in the day and I had already had my coffee intake. One time I had hot chocolate and it was amazing. Real chocolate. Thick, dark, bitter. The other time I had a latte and it was pretty damn good as well. Presentation on both was amazing.

I like this place. I love people that are passionate about what they do, and the owner of this shop is really into his coffee. The energy is contagious.

The place itself is small and cozy. Red vinyl chairs are comfortable, and so are the booth seat that lines the wall. The music is great. Neko Case, Calexico, Yo La Tengo. Headphones are unnecessary.

Places to plug in the laptop? Ummm...not so good. I don't see this as a place to get serious work done, but it's a great place to have a cup of coffee (better blend next time) and check the email. And I'd like to come here at night sometime. There's a certain coziness and romantic air to it that I would imagine would be amplified by darkness.


Kopplin's
Hamline Avenue, St Paul

No comments: